Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kitchentinker.com, a new beginning

Today marks a very important step in my blogging world.... I finally own a domain name. When I started blogging somewhere in 2009, I can't imagine that blogging can be this serious for me. I didn't really have any particular topic or theme to go with at the beginning. I just wanted to channel what I thought, what I like most, sharing the little knowledge that I gathered along the way, and most of all keeping in touch with my family and friends. Then, later I used this space as a place where I can share those tested and proven recipes, some are of course my children's favorite. At least, when they all have grown up and live by their own, they will have somewhere to refer to and can do on their own wherever they  are. Now, I am trying my best to update this blog at least once a week or twice if I have more time ( and more energy too).

This blog has never meant to be a food blog but somehow it has slowly become one as baking is the top of my list of the things that I do loved most.  I have been baking since I became a mother to my now 14 year old son. When it comes to baking, cake is my most favorite...cut out cookies are my least favorite. Anything in between, I'm always willing to try. During my early baking experience, I spent lots of time searching the recipes from the Net and tried them all. Some are ok, some are not...well, some people are sincere in sharing their recipes, and some are not. But, I did learn a lot...and I do sincerely share it.

In the early 2000s, I started purchasing cookbooks. My first, very well used and also have very much worn out cookbook is Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess. Most of the recipes are very simple and very suitable for early and amateur bakers. I still have it and use it until now.


Jamie Oliver also writes good and simple cookbooks. I have his Jamie's Dinner, Jamie's Kitchen & Food Revolution among others. The Roasted Chicken & Onion gravy recipes were adapted from Jamie's Dinners.


For my children especially my son who has the interest (probably potential too) in food and cooking, I bought the basic baking books such as La Sur Table's The Art & Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet and Williams Sonoma Baking Essentials.


For a very detail, step by step and more challenging baking experiment, I have Rose's Heavenly Cakes and The Bread Bible. It is very well narrated, very detailed processes and procedures, has a very good tips and tricks for bakers that really want to enhance their baking skills, further improved their knowledge and unleashed their potential.


Talking about cooking and baking utensils, make my head spinning! Can't get enough of them...err..who can? It is like a disease or a plague when it comes to this topic. I can't never manage my money when it comes to the cute little multi-color silicone spatula, or a heart shaped baking pan, or a very sleek souffle mould, or the red classy stoneware cake stand, well...the list goes on and on.. By the way, my husband bought me an icy-blue KitchenAid mixer somewhere in 2009...love the gift and the person who gave it :)

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print