Monday, November 5, 2012

OA



I have been suffering from knee pain on my left leg for quite sometime. But after delivered my 4th child two years ago, the pain became more regular, sometime unbearable and the right knee also affected. I can hardly stand up to walk after sitting for a long period of time. When I walk too much, once I sat down, it is very painful as if a knife cutting through my knee bone. In the morning, all joints in my lower body became stiff. During rainy season or when the weather is too cold, my knee hurts deep to the bone. 

September this year, I finally decided it's time to see an Orthopedic. One visit, a few x-rays and an MRI...I was diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis (OA). It is different from osteoporosis. 

According to webmd, OA is the "wear and tear" arthritis, and it is common, especially as we age. Causes include aging joints, previous injuries, and obesity, among others. Symptoms of osteoarthritis include joint pain and stiffness. Osteoarthritis may affect any joint, including the hand, wrist, neck, back, knee, and hip. Osteoarthritis treatment depends on the joint but often includes medication and exercise. There is no special osteoarthritis diet, but weight loss may improve symptoms of osteoarthritis.

CDC defined OA as a disease characterized by degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint as well as bony overgrowth. The breakdown of these tissues eventually leads to pain and joint stiffness. The joints most commonly affected are the knees, hips, and those in the hands and spine. The specific causes of osteoarthritis are unknown, but are believed to be a result of both mechanical and molecular events in the affected joint. Disease onset is gradual and usually begins after the age of 40. There is currently no cure for OA. Treatment for OA focuses on relieving symptoms and improving function, and can include a combination of patient education, physical therapy, weight control, and use of medications. 

So, basically there is no cure...hence my Orthopedic prescribed me with glucosamine sulphate which I need to take for the rest of my life. It is not medication actually, it is a supplement. Besides that, he registered me for a 6 sessions of physiotherapy that I have to complete in 3 weeks i.e. twice a week. The physio that was prepared for me was electrotherapy, hot packs and exercises. After religiously attended the physio and took the supplement daily, there is an improvement but of course it needs to be continuously maintained. Even though I do not have to continue the physio, I still need to exercise on my own and take the glucosamine. The recommended exercise is swimming, walking and stretching. 

I can't swim, but now I have to and this is my coach.. :) He's 13.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print